Snacks or Friends?


This is my first baby. His name is Mugsy and he is now 10 years old. I've had him longer then I've had my husband. He is the sweetest and most protective dog I've known. No one comes into my house unannounced. If they do they'd be running back out the door until I let them back come in. But the children can do anything to him and he just takes it. Even after his two knee surgeries he let the kids cuddle him even though he was in pain.

When he was a little over a year old I brought home my first litter of five abandoned kittens(three lived). He helped me raise them. He'd be at the kittens cage before I could get there. He cleaned their faces and bottoms for me. Two years ago came the second litter of four kittens. Mugsy was kind to them but didn't show the same enthusiasm as he did with the first litter. I guess after three kittens, and two human babies he must have been thinking, "Been there done that." LOL
Now with the chicks he is showing a lot of interest in them but I'm not sure of his intent. He stands and shares at them and snuffs in the corners of the brooder. If he is in the house when I take a chick out to sit and cuddle with he whines and paces. I let him sniff and "kiss" the chicks but I feel that the affection is different then with the kittens. I hope I'm wrong but I think if he had a chance the chicks would be snacks. I will just have to see how he does with them as they get older. I'll make sure that I keep our little chickies safe.







No comments: