Chick Poop

Well, I guess I should talk about what chicks do best, besides look cute. They poop and they poop a lot. Everyone told me chick poop smells. I'll tell you the truth I haven't noticed any smell yet. Now I do only have three chicks so maybe more would but mine don't as of yet. The brooder is in my little kitchen and less then six feet from my computer so if they smelled you'd think I couldn't miss it. I picture above is of the brooder before I took up the paper towels. In a 24 hour period all the dots on the paper are poop. I took away the towels on Friday so now they are only on the Care Fresh Bedding. Every night I clean off their "table", twice a day I clean and change the food and water. Every two days I take everything out chicks and all and mix up the bedding. I'm not sure when I'll change out all the bedding but I guess when I think it dirty enough or if it ever starts to smell.
Now what about poops that happen when I'm holding them? Well, that's easy I use a poo towel. When the girls have them on the floor I use a poo blanket. And to make sure they don't step in it I just use a tissue and pick it up. The Poop isn't solid but it's not running either. I know it's gross but think frosting. :P Once they are big enough I'll get them chicken diapers to wear when they are wondering through the house. For more info and pictures of chickens in diapers go to Ruth's Chicken Diaper web site.


No comments: