Week Six

This week was an uneventful one. Three days this week were too windy to let them outside. I was afraid they and their pen would blow away. The wind blew the blow up pool across the yard and moved the outside chicken pen across the patio. I can't believe we went from 100 degree temps to 60 degree temps in a week. I think Mother Nature needs to recheck her palm pilot. LOL.
The Chickie girls are getting too big for the brooder. I really need to get started on the larger indoor coop or Condo is what I'm thinking of calling it. I am having to clean out the brooder more often now. I'm not sure if they are pooping more or just making bigger poops. I have now had to buy one large bag and one medium bag of Carefresh totaling about 30$. Once I get the Condo finished I think I may try using corn cob for the floor. It's about 20$ for a 25 pound bag. I'll have to see if I can clean out the poops easier with the cob. I'm thinking it may be more like a kitty litter box. Scoop the poop and leave the corn cob.
I'm hoping to give the girls their first dust bath next week. I'll get video of it. Also I'm going to try again on a mealworm colony. My first try failed. I want to have the mealworms because chickens love them, they are a hoot to watch the chickens eat them and I want to have healthy snacks for my girls. Have a good week.

No comments: